History is an account of events that has marked the
progress of existence of an institution. As we stand the threshold of
event we can only proclaim that God has brought us another mile in
possibility a reality. As our church continues to progress, God has done
works in the lives of those who are a part of the St. Peter’s Rock MB
evident because of the great strides that he allows us to experience
from year to
year. To those who don’t understand the work of God, it is a mystery,
those who love the Lord, is a miracle.
The St.Peter’s Rock MB Church succeeded from the St.
Paul Missionary Baptist Church. The small church was organized by the
Deacons Willie Rucker, Pat Ralph, Frank Hill and Sister Rosie Rucker in
Cleveland in 1897 under the leadership of W.M. Smathers, our first
In 1926, Pastor Hampton was shepherd of the flock. The
church family saw the need for a larger and better building; therefore,
left the building which they occupied in North Cleveland presently
brickyard. After leaving the brickyard they had a building erected at
302 Ruby street
which is the present site of the church. The building was small but met
needs of the church at that time. Pastor Hampton and the church worked
faithfully to pay for the new $3,500.00 building. After completion, the
was modern and attractive but Pastor Hampton left the church and took
with him and started a church on the same street called Old St.Phillips.
progression was not stopped only interrupted. In 1928 the late J.H.
elected pastor and served eight years before his death in 136. Under his
leadership the church was remodeled at a cost of about $1800. The
committee was Eddie Jefferson, C.H. Anderson, Sr. and W.M. Jackson. The
Trustees were W.B. Williams, J.C. Campbell, and B.E. Harris.
were: Frank Hill, William Young, Dan Williams, Tom Manus, Gus Manning,
Jefferson, Williams Jackson Charles Anderson (Secretary) and J.H.
Anderson-Pastor. Many members were added to the church through
reinstatement and baptism. Several accomplishments were marked during
this period. Sister Polly Carter was the first president of the
Missionary Society and purchased the first piano for the church. Brother
Peter Howard was the first president of the BTU,and Brother Tom MAnus
was the first President of the Senior choir. The First Sunday School
superintendent was Brother Hyman Williams who also organized the first
Sunday School which consisted of two classes, a men and women class. He
also served as the first teacher where the Sunday school flourished
under his leadership. More classes were organized. he later gave up his
his class to devote more time to the Office of Superintendent.
L.L. Laws was the next to take over as pastor of the
church in 1936 where he served for 36 years. Under his leadership the
church grew and various updates and amminties were added to the church 3
time. The Junior choir and junior Usher Board were organized. A central
air/heating unit were installed along with a baptismal pool.
Educational wings, dinning area and a kitchen were added in 1973. The
laymen were organized and many members were added to the church. After
Pastor Laws death, the church was led by Pastor Fairman for eleven
months. In 1976, Pastor B.T.Moore was elected and served for 3 1/2
years. Under his leadership the church purchased a bus and more
rennovations were made on the building and the bill was paid in twelve
months for the amount of $13,750. A new PA systems was purchased and
$5000.00 was paid towards the Educational building. Forty ONE members
attended the National Congress of Christian Education in Memphis in
1979. Also under Pastor Moore's leadership the Concerned Women's
Auxiliary was organized and many more members were baptized and the
church grew more. In December 1980, M.A. Reed was elected Pastor
and under his leadership he and the members worked to strengthen the
church ministries and grow the membership. Bible classes and youth
ministries were organized also during his time as pastor. The purchase
of an organ and a new van took place in 1984 which gave rise to a
transportation ministry being organized. Later a mini coach was
purchased to aide the transportation ministry. The number of delegates
attending the local state and national congress increased. Additional
land was purchased in 1987 and the ground breaking services for a new
sanctuary took place in March on this present site.
new sanctuary was constructed in the same year. In 1987, the first worship
service was held in the new sanctuary of St. Peter’s Rock Church. In 1992, a
clothes closet was set up at the church to assist the needy with clothes.
A new church van was purchased in June of
1993as part of the bus ministry for the church. Under the leadership of Pastor
Reed three ministers were ordained: Eddie Williams, Charles Bass, and Reginald
Hurns. In 1994, the land directly in front of the church was purchased. In 1995
a parking area was constructed on the purchased land. In 1996, 26 new members
were added to the church family, and a lot of property on the corner of Church
and Chrisman Avenue. In the same year Pastor reed was elected to serve as
President of the Genreal Missionary And Educational Baptist State Convention.
observed our Centennial Celebration (100 years of Christian Dedication and
Service) July 20-27, 1997. Our theme for the 100th year celebration was, “Standing on the Solid
Foundation” which was by Bennie Goodman, Jr. The event was commemorated with keepsake
tags and a souvenir booklet. In honor of the St. Peter’s Rock Missionary
Baptist Church 100th birthday
celebration a Centennial banquet suited for royalty only which was chaired by
Janie Johnson. 1998 started off fruitful at St. Peter’s Rock MB Church with the
appointing of three Deacons: Glenn Daniels, Brother Jimmie Washington and
Brother Vasser Pegues and 18 new members were added to the church in 1998.
St Peter’s Rock MB Church has
continued to support Christian education and has awarded scholarship to
2001, the pulpit was declared vacant here at St Peter’s Rock and in October of
2001, Pastor Sammy Brooks was elected the pastor, the implementation of Family
and Friends Day featuring hosts families was started. Pastor Brooks also
implemented All Auxiliaries Day, Pew Rally Day And Clean Up Day. Plumbing and
several other minor repairs were concluded at the church. Three new trustee
members were added to the St. Peter’s Rock board in 2002 and they are:John
Brinson, Ellis White, and Aaron Moore, Jr. In 2004, bro Aaron Moore Jr. was
elected Chairman Of the Trustee Board. In 2004 the pulpit was declared vacant
until January 16, 2005, when Terrance Rash was elected pastor during morning
services. On January 23, 2005 he preached his first sermon as pastor,
entitled,” Let Us Move Forward” coming from Numbers 13:30.
Rash always reminds us that weeping my endure for a night but joy comes in the
morning. During Pastor Rash’s tenure, he has brought a sweet spirit and an
humble attitude of service and devotion. Also under Pastor Rash many sheep has
been added the fold and many have been reclaimed back to the kingdom.
church has seen the addition of two more deacons; Brother Terry Trotter,
Brother Forrest Bass and Deacon Jimmie Washington was reinstated. Additional
properties were purchased and major repairs have been completed at the church
under Pastor Rash. The old mortgage was paid off and we have acquired a new
mortgage since the old sanctuary/fellowship hall was torn down with the
foundation being torn up and a new building being erected, called the “The Ruby
Street Community Center”.
Talmedge Davis, Jr. has been appointed
chairman of the Deacon board, and Deacon Richard Williams has been appointed
Chairman Of the Trustee Board. The membership at St. Peter’s Rock can surely
attest that the windows have been opened and the blessings have been truly
showered upon us. As we progress in love and devotion for God and our church
and God’s people, we all continuously pray and keep the faith. We give all
glory and all praise to God for what he
has done and is doing at St. Peter’s Rock